Post by getafish460 on Apr 13, 2011 5:13:37 GMT -5
Could do with some help here, if anyone has the details to hand. :-/I’m caught in a bit of the mire at the moment and wondered if your records might help. One, John Carpenter married Araminta Tangye in Illogan on 13th August 1785, he was baptised on 21st May 1758, and she was likewise, baptised in 1764/5 (albeit in Redruth, as far as my records show) The bit I’m stuck on is; John’s father was also called John Carpenter and he was seemingly married to Sarah (surname unknown), I don’t know exactly when, though conjecturally it would be somewhere about 1750 (ish) judging by John junior’s age. Again, conjecturally, John senior’s date of birth would be in the region of the 1720’s/30’s judging by the (somewhat small) inroads I’ve managed to make towards locating Araminta’s parentage, which I’ve narrowed down to a couple of possibilities, both of whom have baptismal dates in the 1720’s.
I’m wondering if anyone has records that could shed any light for me, as I’ve already got quite a few records of BDM form Illogan parish but can't quite make the connections that I need to prove the family lines, or, in fact, move on from this point. Any help would be gratefully received.......PLEASE!!!! Ted Carpenter.
Post by Cornish Terrier on Apr 13, 2011 7:26:21 GMT -5
That marriage is confirmed from the CFHS Marriage Index for Illogan.
There are baptisms at Illogan for 8 children from this marriage:-
Anne bp. 4th July 1742 Mary bp. 7th October 1744 Richard bp. 29th March 1747 Joanna bp. 22nd October 1749 John bp. 9th February 1752 Sarah bp. 7th July 1754 John bp. 21st May 1758 Anna bp. 29th May 1763
Apart from the Camborne Sarah Vivians of which there were two one born in 1700 and the other in 1701, there was also a Sarah Vivyan born in Luxulyan on 5.9.1724. Parents could be Thomas Vivyan and Jone Stephens who married in St Austell 1.6.1717.
Post by getafish460 on Apr 14, 2011 16:11:00 GMT -5
A great many thanks Sue and CT, that'll give me a place to restart my searches, although I've never looked as far afield as St Austell, that's a new lead for me. if you happen to come across anything else i'd be much obliged to you. thanks again ted
Hi all, I've been doing a bit more digging and come up with this so far: In reverse chronological order and numerically by generation back from my grandson(which makes me No. 3, and leaving out anyone who's still living)
11. Richard CARPENTAR. C1675. married 4/6/1699 St Austell to Elizabeth NANCARROE C1682, dau of John Nancarre (bpt. Mar 1640) (son of John Nancarre and Jane RETSON,) and Alice COODE (Bpt Oct 1644) Grandaughter of Thomas Coode and Jullian LAWRENCE.
10. John Carpentar (bpt 14/8/1708 in Illogan) married on 12/4/1740 to Sarah VIVYAN (Bpt 21/12/1724 in Camborne) dau of Francis VIVIAN and Christian THOMAS who were married on 10/2/1682, and granddaughter of Peter Vivian.
9. John CARPENTER Bpt. 21/5/1758. d.14/5/1836. married in Illogan on 13/8/1785 to Araminta TANGYE Bpt. 1764 in Redruth d. 6/3/1835.
8. John Carpenter Bpt 25/2/1787 d. 13/4/1833. married in Illogan on 23/1/1808 to Susan(na) JELBERT (Gilbert) Bpt 30/11/1788 in Illogan dau of Andrew Gilbert (Jelbard) Bpt 6/3/1757. married on 27/10/1787 to his second wife Mary GEORGE (his first wife Christian Secombe whom he married on 31/8/1782, having died) and granddaughter of John GILBERD and Amy DORMAN who were married on 24/12/1746. 7. John Carpenter born 1812 in Illogan and married firstly to Ann PRIDEAUX b.8/6/1815 dau of James and Ann Prideaux, and thereafter to Keturah POOLEY b. 28/6/1823 in Crowan, dau of Thomas Pooley b.1787 in Crowan, and Jenefer BENNETTS b.1788 in Camborne
6. William Carpenter b. in Illogan in 1846, married in Redruth in 1868 to Grace MOORE born in Redruth in 1851.
5. Frederick Martin Carpenter. b. Mar 1888 in Langyfelach, d. 1942 in St Agnes, married in Redruth to Mary Ann PRYOR b. 6/4/1870 in Illogan, d. 1919, dau of Henry Evans Pryor and Caroline SPARNON
4. Frederick Martin Carpenter. b 9/9/1918 in Tuckingmill, d. 14/4/1997 in Oxford, married in St Stephens Moston on 6/9/1941 to Mary SMITH b.29/5/1919 in Moston, Manchester d. 11/6/2006 in Oxford, dau of John Smith of Manchester d. 29/4/1941 and Agnes KENNA b. Sept 1897 in Manchester, d. 21/7/1968 in Perranporth, who were married in March 1919. Agnes Kenna was the dau of Andrew Kenna b. 1859 in Ancoats ,d. 17/4/1935, and Mary Ellen Holden b. 1865 d. 19/6/1917 who were married in Manchester in June 1883. Andrew Kenna was the son of Andrew Kenna b in Ireland in 1821 d. Chorlton 1893 and his wife Ellen
I'd welcome anyone to run a critical eye over these and highlight any pitfalls before committing them to my charts. Regards to all, Ted